Type and Search from This Blog टाईप करून शोधा

Into the Wild

 
Into the Wild



 
 ICE BREAKERS
            Complete the given table regarding the factors/situations/reasons - why you
sometimes get scared and the factors that add to it. Give possible solutions.
Sr. no Reasons Factors which add to it Solutions

sr.no

Reasons

Factors which add to it

Solutions

While discussing about

At midnight/In the

Avoid such discussions/

 

strange creatures

absence of parents

stories as they are

 

 

 

baseless

To travel alone  at night

darkness ,sounds

keep torch, avoid to walk 

 

 

 

in such areas

 
 
 
Given below are various activities which you can pursue as your hobby, passion,
or profession. Complete the table accordingly.
 

s.no

Activities

Hobby

Passion

Profession

Reason/ Challenge/ Both

1

Painting

    ✔     ✔

   

R) I can express myself well

 

 

 

 

through the strokes of brush

2

. Travelling

 

 

 

(R) In tourism, there is great

 

 

     ✔       ✔    ✔

demand for professional tourist

 

 

 

 

 

guides.

3

. Wild life

     

     ✔      ✔

(C) In the age of computers limited

 

photography

 

 

professional scope

 
 
Match the following ‘Wild-Life Sanctuaries’ with their locations.
           Wild Life Sanctuary                    Location
1. Bandipur National Park                             (a) Uttarakhand
2. Kaziranga National Park                            (b) Madhya Pradesh
3. Jim Corbet National Park                          (c) Karnataka
4. Ranthambore National Park                   (d) Assam
5. Kanha National Park                                   (e) Rajasthan
1  - c
2 -d
3 - a
4 - e
5 -b
 
 
Into the Wild
(Part – I) Lost in the Jungle
The eight-and-a-half-hour-long day inside the hide ( a place built to look like its surrounding)  was as fruitful as the Jambha tree standing tall on the  edge of Umbarzara(जंगल). Before wrapping up my day at this  natural waterhole, I took entries of the avifauna  (birds of a particular region, habitat ,) in my  field notes. Since I was alone, I rushed to Pitezari village  where I was stationed. I camouflaged  ( disguised by covering it to make it blend in with the surroundings)the hide, took  my essentials, came out of the hide and stretched out to  my heart’s content. I lifted my camera bag and took the  familiar trail(रस्ता) to Pitezari. Negotiating (रस्ता काढत) the webbed leaves of  Teakwood and Moha trees, trying to make minimal sound,  I was treading cautiously among the woods. Walking  alone in a jungle needs more alertness than walking with  a companion. I was alone here like a fox. Following the  trail silently, watching with wide-open eyes, my ears were  grasping a variety of sounds just when a familiar sound stunned me…
‘Khyak! Khyak! KhyakoSS Khyak!’(माकडचा आवाज )
It was a Langur alarm call. The leader of the gang of  Langurs was sitting on the tall tree making alarm calls  out of fear for life. Rest of the Langur brigade continued raising the alarm calls. The network of alarm calls was expanding its range as the petrified(very frightenedघाबरलेला) Langurs speeded to the trees near and far and secured their places on treetops. All this upheaval (sudden disturbance) was created by only one animal’s presence-a Leopard. Many animals make alarm calls when they see a predator(prays on otherभक्षक )- Tiger or Leopard nearby.
The Langur is most reliable when it comes to finding clues about the presence of the apex(topmost ) predators in the jungle. The mighty elusive Leopard of Umbarzara was out of its lair(secret place). He was on the prowl. The stealthily moving figure in spotted gold-black cloak was spied by these Langurs. Even the small ones from the legion(a great number of people or things) of Langurs were giving alarm calls.
‘Chyak! Chyak!’
        I stayed put. Gauged the leader Langur’s target sight and scanned(अभय्यासून) the area visually. Took some steps. Stopped again. A fresh scat(विष्टआ  animal droppings ) was lying before me on the trail. The bluish-purple flies were hovering (घोंगावणे) over it. I was sure that the Leopard was somewhere near. The distant alarm call of four-horned antelope (dear) was adding to the chaos. I barely walked around 15 metres and stopped. I had apparently
entered in the sanctum sanctorum (the holy of holies, a place, region where few are allowed as the secret / important work is done) of a miracle called Leopard. But the big cat was not visible. It is an elusive animal. The surroundings were reminding me that I was
all alone time and again. As I moved forward on the trail to Pitezari, the fading alarm calls were still heard in the background. I could tell instinctively (मनातून without conscious thought, by natural response) that the Leopard had moved away.
Meanwhile, I saw a man standing at a distance with a stick in his hand. As I approached, he appeared spookeddue to alarm calls of the Leopard. We greeted each other.
He was Raju Iskape from Pitezari. He had come to collect logs but retreated due to the Leopard’s movement. Raju was amazed at my regular solitary visits to Umbarzara, the haven (आश्रयस्थान a place of safety or refuge) for Tigers, Leopards and Sloth Bears. We stopped under a Kusum tree to take a break. We both felt a bit relaxed. Now we were four eyes, four hands with a stick. Then we both resumed our walking tour.
There was one tiny track that broke out of the main trail. “I will take this route, you go straight,” said Raju and turned right. I kept walking straight until I climbed a familiar hillock. I crossed the cement pillar and stones stacked by Forest Development Corporation to mark the boundary of the forest compartment. Took another trail  after climbing down.
 
Walked across a beautiful Mahua tree loaded with reddish-brown leaves. The ground under the tree was cleaned very well. The thought instantly flashed in my mind- ‘I’d lost my way’. Next moment, I found another dusky trail. Hastily I took that trail which took me from a narrow gorge (खिंड narrow gully between hillocks) to an open field. The area was surrounded by hillocks of dry deciduous tropical (having trees that shed leaves in the dry season) forest. I turned back to spot the sun. Now, the geographical west was set. The dusky trail had vanished. Good Heavens! I was lost. Completely lost in this jungle, That too at a very dreadful time! The sun was melting down like a fleeting runner.
  Soaked in my own sweat, I felt like shouting to my heart’s content मनाचे समाधान (to the fullest level of  Satisfaction). But there was no other soul to listen to my sound in this wilderness. I had two bags with me. The Shabnam bag having the camera and the other was a small colourful hand-made bag used in villages to carry tiffin. The tiffin still had some stuff, but I didn’t feel like having it. The blossoming Boxwood trees, the Bhoop Bhoop sound of Coucal bird, the song of Robin bird, all appeared alien to meपरके.
    It was more than an hour and I was still there searching for a suitable tree to climb and get secured. “Turn back to the trail you left,” my mind was telling me. But there were no signs of the trail. I had no other way to climb the hillock टेकडी before me. There were more hillocks, and some more around the one I was standing. Near my feet were the dried-up droppings of Sloth Bear. “The Sloth Bear of Umbarzara must be out in open sniffing वास घेत for food,” I cautioned myself. Thinking of averting all sorts of eventuality, I made a move. I ran down the hillock that I had climbed up at a frantic speed(hurried and  Excited). The west was to my right-hand side now.  The evening breeze flew through my wet curled hair. My stomach was aching दुखणे . I kept walking in hope.      
  After around 50 steps I found a bright red soil trail. I found my silver lining on this trail. There were marks of bicycle wheel on this trail. That was a big consolationसांत्वन for me. “There must be a village nearby,” I reassured myself. More questions resurfaced,
 “How far is the village? And  where? In which direction?”
  I climbed one more hillock and tried to locate signs of human civilisation. My legs were trembling. As I reached the top of the hill, I jumped with joy. I heard the sounds of people talking in the loudspeaker. In a jiffy क्षनात , I ran down the hill, towards the sound with full vigour ताकटीने . I stumbled and fell down. Saw droppings of Blue Bulls nearby. Struggled, stood up and decided which direction to move on. The signs of civilisation were visible. The tiny sleepy village of Pitezari was visible through the green woods. The lantern of Rajiram Bhalavi’s farm, the loudspeaker installed for Keshav Bhalavi’s marriage, all were in clear sight. Turned left to spot the village lake and familiar hillock ‘Suihudaki’. The dog barked to welcome me to the village.
The first thing I did was to take a bath. The shaking of limbs had lessened a bit.कमी झाले  The stomach ache started again. Ate to the full and then slumped (fell  heavily ) onto the cot. Lying awake looking at the star-studded sky, I spoke to myself, “There still exists a jungle where we can get lost, isn’t this our good luck?”
Taken from ‘Sakha Nagzira’ - by Kiran Purandare
 
 
(Part – II) Tracking the Panther of Nagarhole
Shaaz Jung is a wildlife photographer, cinemato-grapher, big cat tracker, man-animal conflict resolution seeker and lodge owner– all rolled into one. When he’s away from the jungles of Nagarhole, officially called The Rajiv Gandhi National Park, he’s leading photography safaris in Africa or showcasing (dispaying)his work at Art Galleries in capital cities and speaking to those interested in conserving the planet’s riches.
Shaaz recalls with great clarity the incident that ultimately leads to his answering the call of the felines (member of cat family) over a career dedicated to finance. “It was somewhere around sunset. We were at a junction. The deer were calling,” he says, “we went around a blind turn,” he continues, “and up ahead on the path was this old leopard. You could tell he was past his prime पूर्वीसारखा नसलेला . The jungle had taken a toll on him. He only had three canines. His eyes were sagging (dropping legs ). Close to this leopard was another very young, good looking male who was soon to come into his prime. It was like looking at the past and the present. It was clear that there was going to be a fight. Unfortunately, the sun was setting, and we had to leave. But the next morning, I went back to the spot. Sitting on a high rock was that young leopard. Blood was dripping from a gash(long, deep cutजखम  ) across his face. He sat there like he was ‘king of the jungle’. I knew right then that he had taken over, that it was the beginning of a new journey for him. And for me.”
    Photographs of that leopard, the victor, Scarface, as Shaaz named him, not only made Shaaz famous among India’s wildlife community, but also led to Shaaz’s enviable reputation as a chronicler
( इतिहास तज्ञ ) of the wild. “Through my journey of photographing Scarface, I have discovered other leopards, his mates and discovered his nemises– tigers. I also discovered the current protagonist of my work–Saya–while tracking Scarface. This is the world’s first black panther, the behaviour of which is being documented so intimately on camera, by tracking its movements. So far all the research on the animal has been done through camera traps.” Through many months
of toil, Shaaz has managed to collect precious footage, including that of the animal mating, to piece together(create something by joining the separate parts of it together) the incredible landscape of a black panther’s life.
    Saya , Scarface and Pardus, the leopard that lost to Scarface, have also led Shaaz down a different path of discovery. Learning about them and the loss to their habitat has led Shaaz to create the Buffer Conflict Resolution Trust of India (BCRTI). It’s an agency that educates villagers who live on the fringe (outer part ) of the forest on the importance of conservation. “We are in the heart of the man-animal conflict zone,” explains Shaaz. “There is no specifc buffer zone here around Nagarhole. The core area of the forest ends where the fields begin. In dry season elephant and wild boar incursions हल्ला (attacks) into fields are very common. Older leopards, like Pardus, who have lost territory in the forest often carry away livestock from villages.” This creates resentment राग among locals towards the animals on occasions leading to unpleasant situations.
  Putting tourist currency to good use, under the BCRTI umbrella, Shaaz provides locals with vocational training, with the aim of educating locals on the merits of conservation and to help them benefit from tourist currency. The visitors at the resort are welcome to volunteer to teach a skills training class of their choice. The acquired skills enable locals to find employment with any of the numerous wildlife resorts in the region, if not in a faraway city.
   Madegowda is one such local agriculturist who is trained at BCRTI and is now a certified naturalist  निसर्ग तज्ञ employed by ‘The Bison’. “In the past, I’ve lost almost 80 percent of a season’s yield of sugarcane ऊस to such animal attacks. I used to hate them. But now I’ve learnt how important these animals are and the value of protecting them,” he says. “I have known these jungles for 35 years. I know where the animals are and I realise I can guide visitors and get paid for it. In a way, the animals are paying me back.”
    “The forests have taught me many things. For instance, listening is a sense far more important than sight. You have to switch off your vehicle, sit and listen, for the forest is constantly communicating– through the voices of birds and animals,” he explains. “Tracking an animal also teaches you life lessons. The black panther has taught me patience. But, above all, it has taught me to never stop discovering. There are just so many amazing experiences to learn and share with the world.”
                        - CN Traveller Magazine published by Land Rover India
 
 
BRAINSTORMING
(A1) (i) In pairs, discuss the professions and challenges one can take happily
if one is really passionate about the job.
 
 
 
(ii) In groups, organize a role play activity associated with ‘Wild Life Expert’/
‘Wild Life Photographer’/‘Wild Life Conservator’, explaining the differences
and similarities involved in their profession.    
 
 
 
(A2) (i) Arrange the following incidents in a proper sequential order as they have
occurred in Part-I:
(a) Writer realized that he was lost in the woods.
(b) The Langurs saw the leopard.
(c) The author was moving from the jungle as quietly as possible, finding his
       way through the thicket.
(d) The author met a villager.
C
B
D
A
 
 
(ii) Correct the False statements. (Part-II)
(a) Earlier Shaaz was in the field of finance.
(b) BCRTI was founded out of the genuine urge to conserve the habitat of
the wild life.
(c) Shaaz failed to utilize the finance incurred out of tourism.
(d) According to the local agriculturist seeing is more essential than listening
A) true
b) true
c) False- Shaaz put the finance incurred out of tourism fir better usage .
d) False-   According to the local agriculturist listening is more essential than seeing .
 
 (iii) Complete the given web (Part-I).

visibility of the village

 

 

 

 

Signs of the

sounds of people

vicinity of the

barking dog

village

lake of village

 

 

 

 

loud spekar sound


 
(iv) Complete the following (Part-II).

Responsibilities handled by Shaaz
1 wildlife photography in various forest
2 conflict resolution seeker among man and animals
3 Runs a resort
4 Exhibited  art galleries
 
 
(v) Complete the flow-chart stating the reactions of the petrified Langurs due
to the presence of the Leopard.
 

Khyak-alarm call

langur brigade continued calls

 


 

small ones too giving alarm calls

speeded to the trees

 
 
 
 
 
(vi)  Complete the web, describing each step taken by the writer as a solitary  traveller  while
moving in the jungle with great precaution:

making minimal sounds

Camouflaging


the hide


Precautions taken

writer Grasping various

by the writer

sounds



following the trail


silently

 

 
 
 
(vii) Complete the table explaining the qualities that you would like to imbibe from
 Nature within yourself and provide the reasons for the same:
 

From

Quality

Reason

Trees

strength

stay strong during flood,windy atmosphere

Streams

continuty

flowing till it achives  its goal

 
 
 
(A3) (i) Choose appropriate phrases/expressions from the extract given in the
     brackets.
    (time and again, to one’s heart’s content, frantic speed, in  a jiffy)
(a) I was on diet for some days but today I am going to eat to one’s (my)heart’s  content .
(b) Every mother scolds her children time and again for the overuse of the
 (c) All their educational problems were sorted out in a jiffy because of
     the funds given by an NGO.
 (d) Raj ran at a frantic speed  to catch the train.
 
 
(A4) (i) Begin the following sentences with the words given in the brackets.
 (a) I can guide visitors.
      A-  (Visitors) can be guided by me .
 (b) Animals are paying me back.
 A-      (I)  am being paid back by animals .
 ( c) The behaviour of the first black panther is being documented.
 A-      (They)  are documenting the the behaviour of the first black panther .
 (d) All the research on the animal has been done through camera traps.
 A-      (They) have done all the research on the animal through camera traps .
(e) Madegowda is employed by The Bison.
 A-        (The Bison) employs Madegowda.
 (f ) The surroundings were reminding me.
   A -   (I) was being reminded by the surroundings.
 (g) Raju was amazed at my solitary visits to Umbarzara.
  A -      (My solitary) visits to Umbarzara amazed Raju.
 (h) I found a bright red soil trial.
     A -  (A) bright red soil trial was founded by me.
 (i) Older leopards like Pardus carry away livestock from villages.
    A -     (Livestock) are carried away from villages by Older leopards like Pardus .
 (j) I have lost almost 80 percent of a season’s yield of sugarcane.
   A -     (80 percent) of a season’s yield of sugarcane has been lost by me.
 (k) Tracking an animal also teaches you life lessons.
 A -      (Life lessons) are also taught by  tracking an animal.
 (l) Many things have been taught to me by the forests.
    A -   (The forests) have taught me many things.
 (m) Resentment among locals towards the animals is created by this.
A -        (This) creates resentment among locals towards the animals.
 
 
(ii) Rewrite the sentences by using  not only….but also
(a)    The petrified Langurs speeded to the trees near and far and secured  their places on
 
 the tree tops.
A =       The petrified Langurs not only speeded to the trees near and far but also secured
      their places on the tree tops.
 
 
 (b) Umbarzara is the haven for Tigers, Leopards and Sloth Bears.
    A = Umbarzara is the haven not only for Tigers, Leopards but also Sloth Bears.
 
 (c) I crossed the cement pillar and stones stacked by the Forest Development Corporation.
    A =  I crossed not only the cement pillar but also stones stacked by the Forest
      Development Corporation.
 
 
 
 
 
 
(A5) (i) Your college has decided to celebrate the World Environment Day  Mr Kiran Purandare
       has been invited as the ‘Chief Guest’ for the event.
      Imagine you are the Secretary of the ‘Nature Club’ of  your college and you have to conduct            
      an   interview of Mr Kiran  Purandare.
     Frame 8/10 questions for the same.
 
 
(ii) Imagine you have visited the jungles of Nagarhole.
    Write a report, to be published in your college magazine / in a local newspaper.
 
 
 
(iii) Shaaz has contributed towards conserving the wild animals and their
     habitat. Your college has decided to spread the message in the society
    and arrange a rally.
    Prepare an ‘Appeal’ to ensure maximum participation informing about the
    day, date and other relevant details.
 
 
(iv) Nature is a great teacher and a guide.
   Complete the mind map as instructed as per the titled concept:


NATURE TEACHES
    

 (A6) (i) Surf the net and obtain more information about the conservation      work done by Shaaz. Prepare posters to inspire others and display    them on your college noticeboard.   (ii) Find out the information about the qualification and eligibility  required in the professions related       to wild life such as …• Forest officer / Ranger • Wildlife photographer• Environmentalist • Geologist
• Tour Manager

1 comment:

First Unit Test 2021-22,Std-12

 

Translate